Friday 10 May 2013

Kaleidoscope using border fabric


My New Years resolution to myself - For every UFO (unfinished object) I complete, I can create something new. One UFO - knocked of. :)

Kay Nickols wrote a book years ago on making quilts from border fabric which creates a kaleidoscope effect.  I thought I would explore her idea.

Each block is made up of only 4 pieces.  I noticed that the size of blocks is determined by the size of the pattern repeat, not by how wide I decide to make them.  Two types of pattern shapes appear. 
The other thing I noticed when laying out my blocks - they needed to be set out on point.  When laid out square they lost their wow factor.

Center blocks
 
 
 
 
Border fabric

 
 I've nearly finished another quilt using this technique.  It also wants to have its blocks laid on point.

 Here's a sneak preview.  This one has more of a wow factor due my fabric selection (Christine Grafs "Sausalito" series).

 Border fabrics that have a lot of colour and shape create more interesting blocks.  In the late 1990's early 2000's there was a huge selection of border fabrics - doesn't appear to be to much out there at the moment.
Happy stitching.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to read your comment. Dont' be shy, please write me a few words. Shirls