The blanket was a double size and approx 2 metres long. It had quite a few stains so I spent a lot of time considering my pattern placements before cutting.
Once sewn I single crocheted around the edge using a 3 ply merino yarn and 2.5 crochet hook.
To give the fabric more support when opening and closing the cape using domes, I cut two small pieces of fabric, overlocked them then hand stitched them onto the inside of the left front. Then sewed on the dome backing. See photos below. Probably not the most tidy idea, but it should work.
For the right front I used the back of the buttons to support the front domes.
Its very comfortable to wear and can be used for going out, sitting around a campfire or slouching at home.
Now to give it a good press and gift wrap it.
Oh nearly forgot to mention. I unpicked the blanket's label and hand stitched it into the back of the cape.