Sunday 27 September 2015

Piecing while Quilting as you go

Quilt as you go is the process of piecing and quilting blocks at the same time then joining them together.  This weekend I have been further exploring piecing using this process but rather than sewing just strips - I am testing out other types of traditional blocks. 

My two larger blocks (4" & 2" pieces) were quick and easy to make, though due to my fabrics choice (men's suit sample fabrics and men's cotton shirting) I lost a few of my points because of the stretchiness of the fabrics. Never mind..... you don't notice them from afar.

With the smaller block (1" pieces), I made the block first then secured it to the batting and backing by re-stitching row joining seams. 

Why would I do this?  Why not just pin the block to the batting and backing?
When piecing a quilt I usually make a decision on the quilting style after the top is complete.  In this case - I am making this quilt up as I go along and at this point in time haven't really decided in the final look.  So by securing the smaller block - its ready for quilting when I'm ready to do it.
I have started adding a little quilting to the larger block.

The batting is a black cotton blend.  I use this a lot as I find the lighter batting fibres can work their way through onto the front of the quilt.  Dark blocks do tend to show up lint (especially men's suiting).  I was tempted to test out fusible batting however as it requires you to spray water onto it to activate the glue, I was not convinced it would work well with suiting and shirt fabrics.

Will keep you posted on this project.

Happy stitching Shirls





1 comment:

  1. I'll be interested to see the next stage of this project

    ReplyDelete

Love to read your comment. Dont' be shy, please write me a few words. Shirls