Sunday, 23 November 2014

This weeks show n tell.. Spoonflower Christmas Tree Design & fabric lights.

My latest project has been fun and a good reminder how rusty one can get when one hasn't free-motioned for a while.

Earlier this year I bought a print from Spoonflower.  http://www.spoonflower.com
You can up load your own design, choose a product/fabric and they print it for you.  You can also choose designs from their independent designers advertised on their site and have these printed.  I searched for Christmas Trees and this is the panel I choose to have printed.  Its called Christmas Tree in Chalk designed by Cynthia Frenette.

I have quilted it and inserted fabric lights. 




Inserting the lights was a little tough.  I found a great on line video and followed their suggestions. 
Planning the layout of the lights was important both on the front of the quilt and ensuring there was enough cable length between marked placements on the back.  I used pins to mark the hole placements, then freemotioned filled in circles ready for cutting (I did test the eyelet stitches on my machine but they were to small).  I found digging the hole for the lights was really hard -  though three layers of fabric plus a solid mass of machine stitching.  Once my holes were made I placed PVA glue on the hole edges to prevent further fraying.
The other problem I noticed was that the light head was bigger than the light shaft so once the light was inserted into the hole - it tended to protrude a lot more.
I used cable ties on the back of the lights to prevent them from protruding further into the front of the quilt.  I then stitched down the cables putting the power box into a pouch.
Speaking with a customer yesterday she told me she made small button holes for her lights.  Now that to me sounded like a very clever idea and used she also used stickers for marking her light placements.


power pouch
cable ties around the light shafts




Customer show en tell this week.



Lovely in Pink.  Scroll in and check out the quilting.

All the fabric used in this quilt has been made from our customer's Son's PJs
he had out grown.
I think that's a really clever idea.



Happy stitching this week.  I'm about to start making a Christmas Tree skirt class sample for classes next year.

Shirls


No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to read your comment. Dont' be shy, please write me a few words. Shirls