Sunday 2 April 2017

Completed projects this year

I have been taking a wee break from quilting and have been focusing on knitting projects.  I have been testing out some patterns that we currently sell at Wellington Sewing Center, plus doing a little experimenting.

First project completed this year was my 7 kg blanket.  Its on display in the shop which I had to wheel it in my large suitcase.
I used 7 x 1kg bumps of Ashford corridale sliver - natural stripe, 25mm circular needles and casted on 50 stitches.
I used the window seat to support the weight of the blanket as I knitted it.

50 stitches + 7 bumps = queen size

Ashford corridale sliver

My next projects - a series of children's knitted garments.
Cleckheaton seamless sweater size 8 knitted in Cleakheaton natruals
This pattern is knitted from the neck down on circular needles.
I did have to purchase an extra ball from the pattern recommendation.



Same pattern but knitted in Shephard Colour 4 me. Size 4
Again I used one more ball than what the pattern recommended.
 
This is a little cutie by touch yarns.  Knitted in size 5-7 years.
Two double knit yarns knitted together.
I used 5 balls of 100gm Ashford DK Te kapo

I have been looking at yarn bowls.  Some of them are amazing and very beautiful.  I would break a ceramic bowl and the wooden ones would be heavy in my bag so I need something a bit more practical.
So I started experimenting last night and this is what I finished up with this morning.
Finished product
I crochet my bowl (instructions at the end of this post) using two strands of DK yarn.
Then using my embellisher machine (mini felting machine), I felted the inside.
If you have one of these machines, place the right side facing up.  The felting will happen on the reverse.
Inside is felted
The outside still shows off the crochet stitches.


I created a loop and sewed on a shank button
Close the loop over your yarn and it should roll around nicely.
 
I felted the interior to prevent any loose wool fibres from attaching to the yarn I am knitting. I am using left over yarn from other projects but if your interested in making one, experiment with mixing yarns.  For example:
Here I am knitting the Hitchhikers shawl (Ravery by Martina Belm) using Ashford Opal sock yarn
to give a flash of colour and Alpaca Yarns 4ply as the base colour.

Now I struggle to read crochet patterns let alone write you a stitch by stitch account on how I made my bowl.  So hopefully you can follow these:
Using two strands of DK together make 4 chains into a round using hook size 6mm.
6 Double crochet to create a circle. 
Continue in double crochet rounds until the base if approx. 7" (18cm). Add 1 chain after each double crochet to keep your work flat.
(note: if you want a larger bowl, increase the base size)

This is my approximate width of the base.
Sides:
Continue double crochet for three rounds without adding a chain after every stitch.  Your work should curve thus creating the base of the sides.
Work four rounds of treble crochet or whatever design you like until the sides measure 3" (8cm).
Work two rounds of double crochet to finish.

Felting the inside created a more sturdy bowl.  If you don't want to felt your bowl then I suggest you double crochet up the sides to make it more sturdy.

Add bling or whatever you like to add your personal touch.

Happy stitching
Shirls


1 comment:

  1. That knitted blanket amazing I went into Evans today they had that kiddy sleeveless vest made up ..so cute .love the idea of the wool bowl I marveled at your felt machine. ..I had no trouble felting jerseys I had knitted my kids .,But sadly not using a machine.

    ReplyDelete

Love to read your comment. Dont' be shy, please write me a few words. Shirls